Peninsula Health provides assistance to people with movement disorders, where the body’s normal movement patterns are changed.
The Movement Disorders Program provides multidisciplinary inpatient and outpatient assessment and management for clients with movement disorders.
Movement disorders are best managed by a team of skilled professionals. All patients seen in the program are assessed by our doctors, who are rehabilitation specialists with experience in movement disorders.
Movement disorders include:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Drug induced Parkinsonism
- Progressive Supranuclear Palsy
- Steele Richardson’s disease
- Shy Drager Syndrome
- Multi System Atrophy
- Cortico-basal ganglionic degeneration
The Movement Disorders Program offers:
- Treatment and regular reviews by our doctors
- Assessment and treatment from our health professionals
- Groups for exercise and other areas
- Inpatient care in our movement disorders unit
- Communication with your GP or specialists Health Promotion and disease management activities
Clients can be admitted as inpatients to the Rosebud Rehabilitation Unit. Key focus of inpatient management program includes:
- Monitoring / changing medications under careful medical supervision.
- Intensive rehabilitation from specialist allied health & nursing staff.
Clinics operate at Frankston and Rosebud Community Rehabilitation Centres. All patients seen in the program are assessed by our neurologists, who have experience with movement disorders. Other members of the team include Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Pathologists, Dietitians, Social Workers and Nurses.
To see our doctors, costs are bulk billed to Medicare so you do not have to pay. You must bring your Medicare card to your visit.
One appointment with our other health professionals costs $10.00. If you have more than one appointment in a week, you will pay $15.00. This allows you to see all the therapists you require within one week. There is no charge for DVA gold card holders.
Inpatient program: The program accepts public, private and DVA patients.
Groups are $5.00 per visit.
Movement Disorders Program
Ph: (03) 9784 8799
Phone: 1300 665 781
Fax: (03) 9784 2309
A referral letter from the treating GP or neurologist is required for admission.