Promoting consumer independence and safety in the home and community environment by providing advice and support to consumers and their carers.
About the service
The Allied Health Outreach Team, is a home visiting service funded by the Home and Community Care (HACC) program and the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) that provides care across the Frankston and Mornington Peninsula.
The team works at Peninsula Health Community Health centres on the Peninsula, and consists of occupational therapists, physiotherapists, allied health assistants and a carpenter.
We work with consumers across a range of conditions and goals, from various cultural backgrounds, in a variety of settings including the home, supported accommodation, and the community. Interpreter services are readily available to promote client-centred practice.
A home assessment may be provided with recommendations regarding equipment, behavioural or environmental changes, exercise programs and home modifications to maximise safety and independence.
Occupational Therapy (OT)
Our outreach occupational therapists conduct home assessments aimed at maximising independence and safety in the home and community.
Some examples of what we can offer are:
- Minor to major home modifications (bathroom, access ramps, grab rail assessment and installation)
- Equipment/Assistive Technology trial and prescription
- Re-training of daily living activities
- Funding applications for provision of equipment/modifications
- Training/support for carers
Outreach physiotherapy is available to consumers who are unable to access centre based physiotherapy or require an assessment within the home environment. Treatment is goal focused and time limited; and encourages and supports self-management.
We can help with:
- Assessment, trial and prescription of gait aids (eg walking frame, walking stick) and transfer equipment
- Home exercise programs for people experiencing:
- chronic pain
- neurological disorders
- chronic respiratory conditions
- musculoskeletal conditions
- Training, support and education of carers including advice on manual handling, mobility support, home exercise programs.
- Mobility and balance training in home and community environments
Allied Health Assistants
Outreach allied health assistants work under the direction of the therapists to assist with exercise programs, skills such as mobility scooter training, along with delivery and set up aids and equipment.
Our outreach carpenter, based on recommendations from therapists in the team, completes basic home modifications such as rails in the shower and toilet, platform steps, lift off hinges, basic ramps and chair raisers to help make your daily activities easier and safer.
How to access this service
If you are under 65, or under 50 and identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, please call ACCESS on 1300 665 781 between 8:30am-5:00pm (Monday-Friday) and a Peninsula Health Access Worker will give you further details on the service.
If you are aged 65 years or above, or 50 years or above and identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, please call the My Aged Care call centre on 1800 200 422 or access the My Aged Care website.