Home // Latest News // The Dos and Don’ts of Oral Health

The Dos and Don’ts of Oral Health

You may look after your general health but are you looking after your oral health?

“A lot of people consider their general health to be more important than their oral health – but they don’t know that they are inter-related,” explains Peninsula Health Dentist Dr Chaman Kandola.

“If you don’t have good oral health you can’t have good general health either.”

For example, there are many serious health conditions which can be worsened by poor oral health.

“If your gums are not in good health, your diabetes could go up,” says Dr Kandola.

“Dental and heart health are connected – especially for people with gum disease. People with poor gum health are at greater risk of cardiovascular diseases.”

Another common mistake people make when it comes to looking after their mouth is an unhealthy diet.

“We see a lot of tooth decay,” says Dr Kandola, who has been a dentist for 14 years.

“Nowadays it’s often cheaper to buy a can of coke than a bottle of water. However people who consistently choose sugary drinks over water end up with decayed teeth.”

Dr Kandola first became interested in teeth when she was a little girl.

“My Mum had issues with her gums and I used to accompany her to the dentist.”

From here, Dr Kandola followed her interest in dentistry, which eventually led her to taking on her current role at Peninsula Health five years ago.

She says the best part of her job is being able to help people look after their oral health.

“I enjoy seeing different people and being able to help them.”

“Patients tell you they appreciate the work you do – it’s always good to feel appreciated and get that feedback.”

Dr Kandola’s tips for looking after your oral health 

  • Brush twice a day.
  • Floss after you’ve brushed – brushing covers only 60% of the tooth surfaces. For the other 40% it’s best to floss as well.
  • Have regular dental check ups every 6-12 months. 
  • Eat a healthy diet – choose healthy snacks rather than sugary ones.

Peninsula Health runs a private and public dental service at Frankston Hospital, Rosebud Hospital, Hastings Community Health Centre and Carrum Downs.

It’s Dental Health Week, which encourages Australians to take control of looking after their oral health. Have you had your teeth checked lately? You can make an appointment online here.