Maternity Services are available at Frankston Hospital.
Frankston Hospital Maternity Ward: (03) 9784 7450
Booking in / Antenatal appointments: (03) 9784 2600
About Maternity Services at Peninsula Health
Frankston Hospital offers comprehensive pregnancy care, with a number of antenatal and postnatal programs available. The Frankston Maternity Ward comprises a 29 bed integrated unit.
Midwifery Unit tours are conducted on Sundays at 2.30pm from the Midwifery Unit waiting room, Level Four. No appointment is necessary.
The hospital has a level 2 Special Care Nursery which provides facilities for up to 13 babies from 33 weeks pregnancy onward, needing closer observation or specialised treatment.
Open access for partner and one other identified support person
Antenatal and Postnatal Suites
6.30am – 1.30pm
3.30pm – 8.30pm
The ward is strictly closed to ALL visitors between 1:30pm and 3:30pm
Women have the option to express a ‘No Visitors’ request at any time during their stay
It is therefore advisable for visitors to ensure access will be allowed prior to arrival.
Visiting during ward closure is by pre-arrangement only.
Children visiting the ward are to be supervised at all times and should not be left unattended by partners or visitors
Partners and visitors who are unwell should refrain from accessing the ward to avoid the spread of possible infectious illness to mothers and babies.
To ensure patient comfort a maximum of 4 visitors at any one time is advised.
Many options are available for women on the Peninsula.
Care incorporates antenatal, postnatal care and women’s health services.
- Childbirth Education – a wide range of education is available for expectant parents and family members. Classes include new parents, refresher, breastfeeding, siblings and grandparents. It is recommended that you book as early as possible due to popularity. This will allow you to choose the class that best suits your needs. This can be organised for you at your booking appointment.
- Booking In Clinic – The first step in your pregnancy. It is advisable that you make this booking as early as possible in your pregnancy to ensure you receive the important information regarding pregnancy care. It is the opportunity to meet the midwives and discuss the options and programs available to you throughout your pregnancy.
To make a booking for this clinic ring:
Frankston: 9784 2600
Mon – Thurs: 9am-12pm
Sat: 9am-12pm or 1pm-4pm
- Midwives Clinic – our team of midwives provide antenatal care for healthy women with low risk pregnancies
- Women’s Health Ambulatory Clinic – provides triage, assessment and management for women experiencing vaginal bleeding and/or pain in early pregnancy
- Young Woman’s Clinic – specifically for woman under 22 years.
- High Risk/ Obstetric Clinic – specifically designed for women requiring medical management in a high risk category.
- Speciality Midwife Clinic – specifically for women experiencing alcohol / drug dependency issues, mental health conditions and intellectual disabilities.
- Women’s Health Clinic – this clinic is staffed by a female general practitioner and experienced family planning midwives. Services provided include contraceptive advice, preventative health screening including pap smears, breast examination and menopausal health issues.
- Breastfeeding Support Service – Lactation Consultants provide individual expert help to both antenatal [pregnant] and postnatal women. Priority is given to women who have birthed at Peninsula Health or who live within the service boundaries of Peninsula Health. The service operates 3 days per week, two at the Franskton campus and one of those days (Thurs) at the community health centre in Hastings. This is located at 185 High Street, Hastings. Bookings for all breastfeeding clinics either at the Frankston or Hastings sites can be made via 9784 2600.
Models of Pregnancy Care Available at Peninsula Health
- Midwife care
- Team Midwifery
- Antenatal GP Shared Care – Over 60 local GPs are affiliated with the Hospital
- Obstetricians – both public and private care