Frankston VIC 3199
PH: (03) 9784 2660
About Diabetes & Endocrinology
The Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology at Peninsula Health comprises specialist physicians, a registrar completing advanced training in endocrinology, credentialled diabetes educators, osteoporosis and research nurses. Using a team approach in close relationship with dietitians, podiatrists and ward and clinic nursing staff, the Unit provides a comprehensive clinical service to inpatients and outpatients.
- Inpatient acute services at Frankston Hospital, Rosebud Hospital and Palliative Care Services.
- Inpatient services at community & continuing care sites, at Mornington and Golf-Links Road, supported by diabetes nurse educators and registrar.
- The diabetes clinic – a multidisciplinary clinic devoted to the care and management of of persons with type1 and 2 diabetes.
- The gestational diabetes clinic – a clinic devoted to the intensive management of women with all types of diabetes in pregnancy.
- The insulin stabilisation clinic – a specialist nurse clinic where patients receive full education on the use of insulin injections and intensive support through the early weeks of therapy.
- The Young Adults with Diabetes (YADS) clinic – an evening clinic for young people, aged 15 – 26 years old, with type 1 diabetes.
- The medical endocrinology clinic (MENDOC) – for followup and treatment of patients with a number of endocrine diseases, including thyroid disease and osteoporosis.
- Paediatric Diabetes Clinic – a multidisplinary clinic devoted to the care and management of children aged between 2 – 16 years old.
- Insulin Pump Clinic – a specialist nurse clinic devoted to support and review of patients on continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (pump).
- Osteoporosis Service – this includes both inpatient and outpatient screening and follow up for patients who have had a minimal trauma fracture.
- Research – The Diabetes & Endocrinology Research Unit has dedicated staff involved in recruitment and retention of participants in both hospital initiated and pharmaceutical sponsored studies.