Occupational Therapists provide services to all areas across Peninsula Health, including hospital and home based care and include clients across the lifespan.
Inpatient occupational therapists work at Frankston and Rosebud Hospitals, Golf Links Rd and The Mornington Centre. Acute services are provided in the areas of; surgical, medical, oncology, neurology, respiratory, cardiology, Acute care of the elderly, orthopaedics, plastics, paediatrics and mental health.
Rehabilitation and aged cares services are provided at Golf Links Rd (Units One and Two), The Mornington Centre and Rosebud Rehabilitation Unit (Hillview).
Palliative care services are provided at Golf Links Rd.
Occupational Therapy in the inpatient setting focuses on occupational performance assessments, cognitive function, pressure injury prevention and management, falls prevention, hand therapy and discharge planning.
Community Rehabilitation Services
Occupational therapists work within the community rehabilitation teams at Golf Links Rd, The Mornington Centre and Rosebud Hospital.
The focus in this setting is to assist clients to set and achieve their own goals in the occupational performance areas of self-care, work and leisure including upper limb rehabilitation and cognitive rehabilitation.
OTs work closely with the client and their families either in the centre or in their own homes. There is also a specialist home based early stroke rehabilitation service “Stroke Detours” which can provide early rehabilitation within a client’s own home for those that are eligible.
Outpatient and Clinic services
Occupational Therapists see acute patients in specialist outpatient clinics – plastics, soft tissue and orthopaedic clinics. Other specialist OT community services are also provided through clinics such as the CDAMs clinic and the Falls Clinic.
Community Based Services
Our therapists can visit your home to see how well suited it is for safe living requirements.
- Home assessment can include:-
- home access,
- Short term loan and/or purchase of small aids/equipment to eligible clients
- Re-training of daily living activities
- Evaluation/advice regarding Energy conservation, Management of memory or thinking difficulties, Pain management / relaxation
- Assessment for a personal alarm
- Pressure care
The Dom Service carpenter works with the Domiciliary Care OT to provide a range of minor home modifications to improve safety and independence. Our qualified carpenter can make and install:
- Grab rails
- Chair raisers
- Door wedges and ramps for easy access for wheelchairs / wheeled walkers
- Platform steps
- Shower inserts and wedges
- External rails
- Bed blocks
- Hand held showers
- Minimal costs apply
- Paediatric OT
- Aged Care Assessment Service
- Mental Health programs
- Occupational therapists in the mental health setting focus on
- participation in meaningful activities,
- social engagement,
- sensory processing,
- cognitive capacity,
- independent management of the symptoms of mental illness.
- On the acute and sub-acute mental health inpatient units, occupational therapists coordinate the therapeutic group program, as well as carrying out assessments and interventions for individual patients with a focus on maintaining independence and participation in meaningful activities.
- The Community Mental Health Service employs occupational therapists, mental health nurses, social workers and psychologists in generic community mental health clinician roles. These clinicians provide outreach support to clients living at home who are recovering from mental illness. Occupational therapists in the community setting are also available to their teams specifically to carry out functional assessments for clients of the service and provide recommendations regarding interventions to promote improving functional capacity, independence, engagement and recovery.