Latest News in ACP
** NEW- ACPTalk – for sensitive religious and cultural Advance Care Planning (ACP)
ACPTalk is a website to support health professionals in sensitive religious and cultural ACP conversations and to raise community awareness of ACP.
A search function provides information on: religious background and beliefs, practices, disclosure of medical prognosis, language and other advice.
The website also contains discussion scripts, information on ACP law, more general ACP information and links to useful external religious and cultural ACP and palliative care resources.
This project is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health- ACPTalk website
The Online ACP toolkit is a new resource for patients to use independently or with assistance from family or health care providers.Use is unlimited and free and is not restricted but available to all, including those outside the Peninsula Health catchment.
It contains two key forms that can be saved, printed and co-signed by the patient’s GP to affirm they are of sound mind.
- Online Advance Care Directive form- http://peninsulamodel.org.au/advance-care-planning-tool
- Online Medical Power of Attorney form- http://peninsulamodel.org.au/medical-enduring-power-attorney
Advance Care Planning Resources
- Advance Care Planning Poster
Advance Care Planning Forms
- Advance Care Plan for the Person Lacking Capacity
- Advance Care Directive for the Person with Capacity
- EPOA (Medical Treatment) Form
Decision Assist for GPs
Decision Assist program is funded by the Australian Government and aims to build capacity, linkages and access to palliative care and advance care planning services by providing support and education to GPs and aged care staff.
CALL- 1300 668 908 – 7 days per week, from 8 am until 8 pm
- Speak directly to a ACP expert
- Access specialised information and support relevant to each state or territory
- Gain access to evidence based resources, support and mentoring, as well as education and referral to appropriate support services as required.
- Costs the same as a local call
More information can be found at www.decisionassist.org.au
Referral to the Peninsula Health Advance Care Planning Service
To refer General Practice patients to the Advance Care Planning Service:
1. Commend the benefits of Advance Care Planning (ACP)
2. Provide information and a printed resource such as the ACP brochure
3. Obtain patient’s consent to make the referral
4. Complete and print a referral letter or form in the usual format used by your practice or use the ACCESS Referral form
5. Referral details required are reason for referral, current patient contact details and past medical history
6. Fax the referral to ACCESS on 9784 2309
Contact the ACP Service with any queries
Advance Care Planning Service
PO Box 52
Frankston VIC 3199
T: 9788 1593 | M: 0448 036 772
Website Links for General Practice
- RACGP Website Information on Advance Care Planning
- RACGP Position Statement on Advance Care Planning
- AMA-Position_Statement_ACP EOL Care 2014
- Advance Care Planning Australia – useful information for doctors and health professionals
- Palliative Care Australia Position Statement on Advance Care Planning
- Department of Health Resources for Advance Care Planning
- Advance Care Planning training resource for doctors and health professionals
- Medical Care of Older Person’s in RACFs (Silver book) information on Advance Care Planning