Home // 75 years of caring for the community

75 years of caring for the community

75 years of caring for the community

2016 marks the 75th anniversary of the opening of Frankston Hospital – and 75 years of caring for the Frankston-Mornington Peninsula community.

The £24,000 two storey hospital building was built on a T-shaped plan, and was designed for easy expansion. With 32 beds, Frankston Community Hospital was officially opened on Sunday 30 November 1941 by Major-General H W Grimwade. The first patient was admitted the following day.

Plans to extend the hospital soon followed.

The Standard reported in October 1949: “The tremendous growth in Frankston and the surrounding district has exceeded the estimated growth…a much larger hospital will be required to meet the needs of the future.”

They were prophetic words. Today Frankston Hospital has more than 380 beds and is the major public hospital for our region providing medical, surgical, maternity, paediatric and mental health services to almost 100,000 patients each year.

From its humble beginnings 75 years ago, Frankston Hospital has transformed into a major teaching and research hospital. Our success is due to highly committed staff, volunteers and community representatives. Together, we are training future generations of doctors, nurses and allied health professionals. We are proud to be one of the largest employers on the Peninsula, and we continue to grow.

We have achieved so much in 75 years, and in the years to come we will continue to grow and provide outstanding care to our patients.

Click here to view our special 75th anniversary retrospective video